St Columba, Arbory

 

 

 

Arbory Parish Church

The church is dedicated to the sixth century Irish Saint Columba, who left his native land and founded the famous monastery on the Island of Iona.

 

 

The first known references to this site go back as far as 1153 and we know that there has been a place of worship here since 1291.

The original chapel lay in what is now the "Old" churchyard and all that remains of it is thought to be the sun dial near the south door.

It was replaced by the present building, which was consecrated in 1759 and hence celebrated its 250th anniversary in the November of 2009. As built it was white washed and had a typical Manx style 'Dove Cot' for its bell, similar to that at Malew. The present bell tower is a much more recent addition, buing built in 1915 as commemrated on the plaque inside the porch.

The church has some notable associations as the monuments around its interior show. Not least that with Captain Quilliam of fame for his part in the Battle of Trafalgar, and who has a memorial inside the sanctuary, and a tomb outside to the South of the main door. The window over the altar was presented by the late General Stevenson in memory of his mother and it is unusual in that it is of the Mount of Olives.

Two other windows of note are the more recent additions of the 'Children's window" in memory of Ida & Arthur Crellin and the window commemorating Captain Quilliam.

The Church is open daily for visitors and you are welcome to enjoy the peace and quiet of our country church.

Copies of guidebooks are available at the church for purchase.

 


St Columba, Arbory
Webpage icon John Quilliam
Webpage icon The Quilliam Group
Printer Printable Version